Janet McChesney

Born in Vancouver, Janet McChesney spent most of her life in Toronto. After gaining an HBA in Economics and Political Science, she worked in various managerial roles with a global corporation and visited many areas of the world. This gave her the opportunity to learn about different cultures and art. Not until retirement did Janet begin to create her own art.  Now a mixed media sculptural and abstract painting artist, she explores the intersection between scientific knowledge and the environment re-creating environmental issues. Janet’s artworks have been seen in the Salmon Arm and TRU Art Galleries. Alberta Printmakers and Cascade Print exchanges. Future plans include etching processes and the possibility of a master’s degree.

Artist’s Statement

I have an interest in the world around us and the evolving, and the far more accessible scientific knowledge. Climate change melts glaciers and builds tornados ready to swirl over dry landscapes. Oil fields with abandoned derricks pollute farmland. Forest fires rage and noise pollution endangers whales.  My works indulge my interest in the current state of our scientific knowledge in these areas. I endeavor to draw the viewer’s attention and evoke a personal response to what we often have already heard from reported published research, snippets from news media and our own observations of living, but it is knowledge we tend to take for granted. Perhaps art can draw attention in a more profound way to bring about awareness and response. In presenting my work, I‘ve learned more about my interest areas, delved deeper into what is reported, found and worked with a variety of materials that were new to me, and ruined multiple pieces of clothing, gone down innumerable rat holes, and made many errors ( also known as learning opportunities).  Topics that began as small ‘pinches’ of knowledge led me deeper into my subjects.  I’ve learned about myself and what motivates me to action. I offer that insight in my work. My mantra: “Look until you really see. Pay attention”. Sometimes the bridges of “what was” must be burnt to determine “what will be”.

Location

TRU Art Gallery, 835 University Dr

Similar Posts